When I told Sakura of Chasing Bawa that I was travelling to Sri Lanka she kindly came up with a list of books and authors of Sri Lankan origin to read or look out for while on holiday. I thought I would share it with my fellow book-lovers!
- Shyam Selvadurai – Funny Boy; Cinnamon Gardens
- Romesh Gunasekara – Reef; The Match
- Michael Ondaatje – Anil’s Ghost; Running in the Family
- V.V. Ganeshananthan – Love Marriage
- Michelle de Kretser – The Hamilton Case
- Roma Tearne - Mosquito
- Nihal de Silva – The Road from Elephant Pass
- Ashok Ferrey – Colpetty People; The good little Ceylonese girl
- Yasmin Gooneratne
- Jean Arasanayagam
- Karl Muller
I plan to buy Anil’s Ghost, by Michael Ondaatje (who is better known for The English Patient) and while I was visiting the Barefoot Bookshop in Columbo I also picked up a copy of The Road from Elephant Pass which I am looking forward to reading.
Thanks again to Sakura for the recommendations – they gave me a good excuse (not that I really need one…), to go book-shopping while holiday. She has written reviews of quite a few of these books over at her blog so do pop over and take a look.
Do you, like me, enjoy reading books about the country you are travelling to when you go on holiday?